This 1891 American Foursquare was built by Charles Krause and designed by the famous architectural team of Schnetsky and Liebert. They built numerous churches and residences in Milwaukee, many reflecting Jugendstil and New Renaissance styles (both German movements). Their designs for the Fred Krause Mansion (1531 N. Prospect Ave.) and Henry Harnischfeger Mansion (3424 W. Wisconsin Ave.) are examples of that influence.
This home is a prime example of the Foursquare which is an American house style popular from the mid-1890s to the late 1930s. The Foursquare design was a reaction to the ornate Victorian and Revival styles popular throughout the last half of the 19th century. It typically incorporates elements of Prairie School and Craftsman styles.
This home is historically known as the Missouri Synod House. It served as the home for the President of Concordia College, which was located next door, until their move to Mequon in 1983. This continuous use for over 100 years saved the home from much of the indignities and remodeling suffered by other homes in the neighborhood.